Clinical Applications of Pain Science: Manual Therapy, Exercise and Rehabilitation Principles for RMT’s (Vancouver)
This 2-day course will focus on reconceptualizing pain, manual therapy and the role of RMT’s in healthcare. The focus will be on how to use manual therapy and therapeutic exercise in a manner that is consistent with the evidence and theories of how multiple factors can impact pain, movement, performance and disability.
The course provides the opportunity to learn how modifications of traditional therapeutic practices can increase success and improve patient outcomes. It aims to decrease practitioner stress and increase confidence when working with routine and complex patients.
Discussion, observation, practical applications and small group work will be used to emphasize key learning objectives.
• Pain has more to do with sensitivity than damage
• The distinctions between tissue health, biomechanics and their role in pain and exercise.
• Understanding of how existing manual and practical skills can be effectively modified to improve patient outcomes
• Understanding of new evidence-based frameworks on persistent pain to enhance practice, improve outcomes, and decrease practitioner stress
• Increase understanding of self-management and to improve RMT’s abilities to teach self-management to their clients.
About the instructors
Eric Purves MRSc, RMT co-owns Achieve Health, a multidisciplinary clinic in Victoria, BC. He has been an RMT since 2006. Eric is a member of PainBC’s faculty where he teaches a course on persistent pain management for RMTs. His graduate studies at UBC focused on the application of research evidence in healthcare practice. He has instructed courses and presented at conferences throughout Canada and the US.
Jamie Johnson RMT is the founder of www.themtdc.com. He is passionate about furthering the professionalism and education of RMT’s. He is also a firefighter, first aid instructor, and former clinical supervisor at WCCMT – Victoria. His teaching style, sense of humour and humility has consistently received fantastic reviews from those who have attended his courses